Donate to Keep Blog Running-thanks

Monday 4 March 2013

Black stools

I am a 34-year-old female and have noticed that my stools are black. I sometimes get pain in my abdomen. Otherwise I am fine, I take no medications and eat a healthy diet. Is this abnormal?
Yes, black stools in a person who does not take any medications or iron supplements indicates presence of bleeding somewhere in your bowel. In most cases, the cause is peptic ulcer disease. The ulcer is associated with minute amounts of bleeding, which when combined with stools, turns them black. I suggest you go and see your doctor. You need a blood test to ensure that you have not bled a lot. Secondly, you may need an endoscopy to determine presence of an ulcer. In the meantime, I would take some over the counter prilosec.

No comments:

Post a Comment